A good posture is necessary while sitting or standing in order to keep your body healthy. It is also beneficial for you to look your best. As a kid, you might hear many times “sit up straight. It is not merely a nagging command, but sitting or standing straight can provide many benefits to your body. It holds your body in the right alignment. Many people cannot maintain good posture due to poor-quality computer chair without proper features. They can consider buying ergonomic chairs with adjustable features to maintain good posture.
What is good posture
We know about the importance of practicing good posture. But do you know what good posture is? It is your body position when sitting, standing, or lying down. You keep a good posture when your ears get aligned evenly over your shoulders. If you keep a good posture, your shoulders are relaxed, and your spine is also aligned. Practice proper posture in order to maintain the natural curves of the spine.
Everybody has an unconscious posture. Our body has certain muscle groups, called postural muscles. These muscles help the body to maintain good posture. It also helps gravity not work against you. Your postural muscles also help you balance while you walk or move. You can do your daily activities without straining your muscle groups if you hold good posture. Employees can use good cheap desk chairs when they work in an office for several hours continuously in order to maintain good posture.
Importance of good posture
Maintaining good spine health is essential to avoid potential back and neck pain. And you can improve your spine health through proper posture. Sitting and standing with the right posture also helps to improve your blood flow. Increased blood flow keeps your blood vessels and nerves healthy. Besides, it is essential to support your muscles, tendons, and ligaments. You can reduce the potential risks of back and neck pain to a great extent if you use the correct posture when you sit or stand.
Benefits of good posture
Training is essential for you to learn correct positioning. Learn how to position your body against gravity without having much tension or strain on your muscles and ligaments. If you learn how to maintain good posture, it keeps your joints and bones in the best alignment. Besides, it reduces the wear and tears on your supportive structures. Many offices buy high-quality ergonomic office chairs for their employees to maintain good posture. It helps them to avoid health issues like back and neck pain. Let us check the benefits of keeping good body posture.
- To reduce back pain and neck pain
- Maintaining proper posture helps to avoid the risks of constipation and acid reflux
- Proper posture improves the functioning of your muscles and joints
- You can improve your spine health with proper posture
- It is also a way to improve your mood
Long-term Issues associated with poor posture
Long-term use of traditional office chairs with poor features can lead to several health issues. Such chairs might provide poor posture that often leads to many long-term complications. Those issues can affect not only your physical health but also your appearance. Some of the common issues that you might face by practicing poor posture are:
- Change in your upper spine looks and hunch in the upper back
- Shortening and tightening of muscles in your chest, back and shoulders
- Loss of range of motion in your cervical spine
- Spinal degeneration
Things that affect your posture
Many employees attribute their back pain or neck pain to poor posture. The muscles of your body support the skeleton in an efficient and stable alignment if you practice good posture. It can provide balance and stability in your movement and stillness. Many things cause bad postures, such as illness, injuries, or genetics. And you cannot control most of these causes that lead to poor posture. Some of the factors that cause bad posture are:
- Muscle guarding
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle tension
- Daily habits
- Use of traditional chairs with poor qualities
- Use of technology
- Stress and mental attitude
- Your choice of shoes and the way you wear them
- Genetics and heredity
How to maintain good sitting posture
You might know the importance of good posture and its benefits. But many of you do not know how to maintain a good sitting posture. Many employees use poorly-designed desk chairs, which often leads to a bad posture. Learning how to maintain good posture is important. It is more than sitting or standing straight to look your best. Learn it for your long-term health. Holding your body in the right position can prevent injuries, pain, and other health issues.
Some of the tips to improve your posture are:
- Make sure to be mindful of your posture during your normal day-to-day activities like walking or washing dishes
- Do exercises that strengthen your muscles around your abdomen, pelvis and back
- Practice yoga, tai chi, and similar things provide body awareness.
- Maintaining a healthy weight also help you to have good posture
- Wear comfortable shoes to avoid putting more stress on your muscles and disturb your posture
- Work on surfaces at comfortable heights
- Use ergonomic chairs with adjustable features
Importance of using posture-friendly ergonomic office chairs
Like many other people, your job might require you to sit for several hours continuously. And regular sitting in uncomfortable chairs for extended periods of time can put you at risk of musculoskeletal disorders, injuries, and chronic pain. All such health issues impact your productivity and health long term.
You can avoid many workplace injuries by using comfortable desk chairs with ergonomic features. Sitting continuously for extended hours without sufficient spine alignment and movement can lead to sitting disease if you do not use ergonomic chairs. Some of the reasons why your desk work leads to musculoskeletal symptoms are:
- Neck straining due to poor workplace set-up
- Hip misalignment due to crossing your legs and ankles and other bad habits
- Spine misalignment due to slouching
- Lack of proper blood and nutrient flow to spinal discs because of lack of movement
- Wear and tear of your spinal discs due to continuous sitting
Benefits of using ergonomic office chairs
Most offices of today provide ergonomic office chairs to their employees in order to improve their productivity and avoid potential health issues. It helps them to reduce medical claims and employee absenteeism. Ergonomic office chairs come with many adjustable features that make users comfortable. Besides, it can provide comfort to users. Some of the benefits of using ergonomic chairs for your office are:
- For enhanced productivity
- For better posture support
- It can reduce back and shoulder pain
- Ergonomic chairs reduce hip pressure
- They come with adjustable features
- Such chairs increase blood circulation
- It reduces claims for worker compensation
- Ergonomic chairs are suitable for almost everyone
- They can provide optimum safety and are perfect for long-term use
Features of comfortable ergonomic desk chairs
Choosing the right office chair is important to improve your productivity and avoid health issues. But you must know how to choose the right chair for your office use that provides optimum comfort. Ergonomic chairs are available in different types. So, it is difficult to say that one particular type is better than the other. However, you can consider the following things before buying ergonomic chairs for your office:
- Lumbar support: Consider the lower back support of your chair before buying it
- Backrest: Buy chairs with a backrest width between 12 and 19 inches
- Seat height: Choose desk chairs with adjustable seat height
- Seat width and depth: The chair seat should have sufficient width and depth to support you comfortably
- Armrests: Buy office chairs with adjustable armrests
- Seat material: The chair should have comfortable seat material
- Swivel: An ergonomic chair can easily rotate and reach different areas of your workplace without any difficulty
Maintaining proper sitting posture is necessary to keep your bones and joints in the right alignment. A good posture is essential for the efficient and effective use of your muscles. You can also improve your blood flow by standing and sitting with the right alignment. The best way to maintain a good sitting posture is using the right office chairs with ergonomic features.